Pages

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Names That Have A Story

I come from a family of 8 kids and I do have to say that my darling mom did a pretty good job at naming us with names that had a story behind them or a reason for why she chose that name for us. I've always loved talking to other people and figuring out where their names came from or were they found the name for their kids.

My mom is a sweetheart and the most hard working person I know and it's always the best compliment to me when someone says that we have the same features or that I am just like her because of the way I do things. She came down last weekend and made her famous pizza (those of you who have had it know what I am talking about) at my place for everyone, and I just had to post this pic cause she looks so adorable in my apron! Ok, well back to the name story...

I was the first girl on my mom's side and I'm the 4th child in the family. I treasure my first name Elisa a lot because I was named after my great grandma who raised my mom in South America when she was little. My mom has a very deep love for my great grandma cause in a sense she was really her Mom. She is actually the one who sent my Mom and all of her brothers and sisters to the United States to have a better future. Of course I've never had the opportunity to meet her and thank her for everything that she has done for my mom, but I've been able to do something even more eternal for her. When I was a teenager I was able to go and do the work for my great grandma in the Mesa Temple with my parents and I actually remember being baptized for her too. What an honor that was for me to be able to participate in something so meaningful. I hope my great grandma can look down from Heaven and know that I am trying my best to uphold the name we share in the best way! :)

My middle name is Alexandra and that is after my Dad whose middle name is Alexander. My mom always told me that she wanted it to be Alexandria but my Dad wanted it as close to his name as possible! Jeff and I have also decided that our first little girl's middle name will be Alexandra too, so that we can carry the tradition on.

Another one of my favorites is that my sister Tara was named after my Mom's favorite movie Gone with the Wind. Well hopefully some of you can share some great stories about what the background of your name is!

**Also, I had to add this to my post cause I forgot to mention that a long the way while I was attending Eastern Arizona College 2 of my spectacular friends Kimmery Howard (Hebner) and Rachie Peck (Lewis) gave me the nick name of Ellie. A lot of you know me by that name and for older friends who know me as Elisa it's weird for them to ever call me Elle. I love the name Ellie too cause it reminds me of all the happy times I had at EA!! When I moved to Phx the name just stuck here too!! It's funny cause I won't let the people at work call me Elle cause I don't like them as much!! Ha ha!! I know my fam thinks that it's kinda weird that everyone referes to me as Ellie now, but don't worry Mom and Dad I still let everyone know my real name is Elisa!! :) Other fun nick names that I have been called are: Ellie Pie, Ellerie, Errie, Elle Burger, Elle Mac, Elles, Elliot, Ella-Runka-Roo, Ellerita and I'm sure there is more but I have a bad memory!!!

17 comments:

Jen said...

Ellie! What are you doing up at 6:24 in the AM writing cute blogs that actually are really sweet and touching?? Thanks for sharing the story about how you got your name. That's really cool. And who knew your mom was raised in South America?? Not me! Anyway, you should go take a nap. Love ya! Let's hang out soon!

The Wheelers said...

one nickname you forgot is elis. (not sure how you actually spell is, you just say your name without the a) anyway, it was great to see you monday! it is always fun getting together and meeting at good old rain forest cafe. thanks for everything! take care...
ps my middle name is after my aunt diane.

Anonymous said...

Well, my story isn't as exciting. I got my middle name after my grandma, which is nice. Although Cheryl is a semi-common name, my parents didn't think of it until they saw it in a newspaper one day. That's my story. ha ha

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I am glad that you gave me the name cherylee :-)

Oh, and the word that it is making me type in below for verification right now is "choma" ha ha...funny that I get that word after jenny's story.

The Payne family said...

Don't forget your favorite nickname "Elisaphur Archibald poopy hands". Yes, that is the best one. Nice UOP shirt!

Brenden+Nikki said...

aw what an interesting story! That's so cool! I don't have anything cool like that. I think my parents just liked the name Nicole. And they never ended up calling me that anyway. I am going to assume my middle name is after my dad too since it's Rae and my dad's name is Raymond. Either way, I like my name. Even if it doesn't have too much meaning behind it! ha ha. Good post! :)

caryn said...

ha ha what about Uh~leesa?
Also, your mom IS awesome. I remember when she stayed up crazy late sewing with us and we made those cute little purses for prom!

hdawgy said...

You forgot Elisy Poo and Ell diggity dawg! haha THat's cool! I never knew why you have your name and now I do! Fun!

ashley said...

ELS!!!! What in the heck?!?!??! Why can't you give my ill-pronouncing father some credit?? Els is a beautiful nick-name!! ;o) Poor guy......don't hold it against him.

My name is afters some neighbor that babysat my older siblings and my mom liked it. Not much of a story.

Oh, and do you seriously want a bag?? Let me know......if you promise to come this summer, it's ALL yours!!!! See you in June! ;o)

Jenn said...

SACHE! As someone who just gave a name to a person, which is crazy! I love to hear why peeps have the names they do, so thanks for sharing, even though it seems a bit random. So my question is, is there a reason you have been thinking about names?? :)

Tavia said...

Hey SweetStuff! I just have to add my fave nick for you...Leesie Bugg! You'll always be my Bug!

Strand Family said...

Elisa--I saw your comment on my blog. I met Chris when I moved to VA...you recognize him because you saw those prom pics when I came to visit AZ. You thought he looked so much older than me and you called him "Uncle Chris" every time I visited :)
By the way, I found pictures of us hiking. I should post those some day too.
Oh! and I loved reading how you got your name. I wish I had a good story like that for Penelope instead of "we found your name on a website for baby names and liked it"

Kim's just sayin' said...

thanks for the shout out Ellerita! although I have to admitt you left out about a dozen of Nate's original nicknames! :) your mom does make some darn good pizza. oh yeah, and I'll text you some time with my new HI cell #. sad that we haven't talked in that LONG for you to even know I had a differnt number. remember once when Gary accused us of being attached at the hip?!?! good old villa fiesta. we should buy those gross apt. someday and give one to all the old villa fiesta peeps to have regular vacations!! how great would that be. :) now we just need to get rich...

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing that lovely bit about your name. What a wonderful rememberance to record! Yeah for personal history!!! :) Love ya!

ashley said...

Elisa, if you want the bag, just pay me for what it cost to make......and you can have it. Seriously. It cost me about $6. And maybe a couple dollars to ship. Got it????

Bon said...

this post made me miss you for some reason :)

Anonymous said...

I was thrilled to see you visited my blog!!! I have always LOVED your name and now I know how it came about.
I was named after my moms hospital room mate while she was in labor with me. The funny part was when my mom was sleeping after her c-secton, my dad had to fill out the paper work and spelled my name wrong. This is how my mom wanted to spell it Janessa, but now it's Jennesa! Everyone spells it wrong....Thanks DAD!! My middle name Rose, is from my great grandma!
Thanks for the sweet things you said. I always thought you were sweet and pretty!!!
p.s. The story of how you and your hubby met was stinking cute!