Jeff and I started off with the typical "newlywed" calling in our ward and were Primary teachers for 1 year, awesome experience and I was always amazed at how well the kids knew their scriptures at such a young age. Then in January of this year we were called to teach Sunday School for the 12 and 13 year olds, the kids were a bit more feisty and had the teenage attitudes, but for the most part even if they didn't really admit it I think they did like being spiritual! Our lessons were based on the prophets, and it was so fun to learn and grow with them, cause when we got called to Sunday school I felt like my knowledge on the prophets was scarce.
Jeff and I had been needing to renew our temple recommends and had tried countless times to set up an interview, but something always came up or they were busy with their own meetings. A couple of weeks ago the 1st counselor in the bishopric had called to meet with us, we thought that they were just being super proactive and calling us for our temple recommends...that was not the case though. I just knew that there was something else in store for both of us cause we had to cancel our first interview, and so they asked us to reschedule on Saturday...we both were thinking, "Why is it so urgent that they speak with us and especially on a weekend?!!?" Friday came and Jeff got another call from the stake presidency for us to meet with them as well...could it really be that they were that interested in helping us renew our recommends or was it a new calling?
Me being the excited and jumpy person that I am ran through all the different options that it could be, we both just had new callings so I highly doubted that they were going to release us and call us to something new. Jeff is Mr. Calm and didn't say much and assured me that it would be nothing.
We pulled up to the church parking lot on Saturday, and saw another lady from our ward there, she rolled down her window and started giggling and asked if we knew why we were there...we both said we have no idea. After that I kinda suspected it would be me that would get a new calling but I didn't know what? We went inside and they proceeded to tell us that she had been called as the new Young Women's President and would like me to serve as her 2nd counselor over the Beehives! I honestly was so happy and felt overwhelmed cause I knew we had big shoes to fill from the past presidency. I've always told Jeff that it was my "dream calling" to be in Young Women's, I love working with the youth and have always been bummed that I only could do EFY for 1 year before I got married.
I felt inadequate and knew there were so many others in the ward who were more capable of this calling than me, but I felt comforted once she told me that when Bishop had called her he had mentioned my name and she said that I was the one she had in mind too. We looked at the 1st counselor and said, "Well why are we meeting with the stake presidency tomorrow then?" He said that he was not allowed to say and we would find out soon enough! Jeff was laughing cause he knew that I would be a lot busier now, but little did he know that he was not going to get off the hook that easily...
We met with the stake president on Sunday morning before church last week and he got called to be 2nd counselor in the Elder's Quorum Presidency, so he has his work cut out for him too!! It was so attractive to me how Jeff would always serve so willingly in the singles ward, and I know he will do wonderful things for the members in our ward and will be faithful to his calling.
This bloggity is like my journal and I wanted to record this because last week when we got set apart it was such a spiritual day for both of us and really bonding. I know it's going to be a lot of hard work and are schedules are going to be jam packed, but I'm up for the new challege! Most of the Beehives that I will be working with were in my Sunday school class, so I already know them and they are such sweethearts! I'm so thankful that our Heavenly Father knows us so well and has prepared us to do certain things in our lives. I'm also thankful for this opportunity to serve, because it reminds me that I to have to be better and it's definitely a push for me to work on my own personal spiritual goals. I hope that I can have the same affect on the young women that I will be working with as my leaders did for me at that age. I know a lot of you have been in YW's a long time...any advice or tips would be much appreciated, so please share! :)
Seasons of Life - Changes we've seen lately
8 years ago






10 comments:
oh man those are some lucky girls! they will LOVE you! that is such a neat thing for you to get to do. i don't have any advise, but know that you will be great. good luck to you both!
fun elle smack. you are going to be an awesome yw leader!!
that is great! we had such a good time in yw. i we loved our leaders, remember them all? crazy that you will be one of those leaders to these young girls. you'll do great!
You're going to do great and those little beehives are going to love you! You're such a great example for them. And isn't revelation awesome? The fact that your bishop and the new YW president both thought of you just shows that the Lord knows EXACTLY who he wants in callings for His church.
You guys sound like us! We were both called into the same things when we first moved into the ward...how funny!
crazy! good luck, i am sure that you both will do wonderfully!
Yay Ellie!! I just got called to Beehive advisor :)!!! I am so excited for both of us!!
Oh, you guys are going to have a ball. I can see it now. Are you going to distribute sparkly chapstick during mutual?!?!? Come on........I want some too.
But really, the chance to serve is always a great thing. I'm happy that both of you are willing to serve in your ward. I'm sure they will love you!
As for ID!!!! Come on up here already. Stinkin' baby better hurry it up!! :o)Is it FINAL final or just mostly decided?? Whatever.......just get up here!
NOT THAT I'M SAYING I WILL COME TO YOUR PAGE MORE THAN I ALREADY DO, but a disney song just came on my iTunes, and I think you need to go to playlist.com and make yourself a playlist, featuring purely Disney songs. Thank you.
Hooray Ellie!!! You'll be so great with Beehives... that was my favorite calling and I went to girls camp about 14 yrs straight. You are gonna love it, I'm sure. And you'll be so wonderful for them. Such a fantastic example and positive role model. We love and miss ya both... Paul and LuAnn
Post a Comment