Pages

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Ann Arbor, Michagan {Part 1}


Michigan: Part 1 

Jeff had an opportunity to receive more training for his job in Chelsea Michigan, and so when he found out it would be for 2 weeks we decided to go with.  Being a single Mom for that long without all of Jeff's help did not sound like a good idea to me.  We knew it wouldn't necessarily be a vacation since he still had to work everyday while we were there, but figured it would be nice to see some new scenery.

Plus, the hotel and food were pretty much covered through his work so all we had to worry about was getting my plane ticket.  We found one for a decent price that also was the same flights as Jeff's so this trip was a go!!  We went from May 14-25.

Every single time I vacation I end up packing waaaaaaaay too much, but I always think of the "what if's" and have to have an appropriate outfit for any occasion that would come up! Not to mention that my bathroom bag is way overpacked as well.  What can I say, I love hair and make up products!!!!

My sister Tara took us to the airport and we arrived on time and got everything checked.  With a baby you sure do have to lug around a lot more.  We decided to take her carseat and stroller with us since it was free to check anyways.


At the Phx Airport on our way to Michigan: 

Jeffrey so willingly pulled our "load."





























I think she knew she had a long flight ahead of her...didn't seem too thrilled.


I think the flight was about 6 hours but thankfully we didn't have any lay overs.  Annabelle did pretty well at first and would just sit with us and if she got fussy I would just nurse her, but after 4 hours she was getting a bit harder to handle.  It didn't help that we had a packed flight and I had the window seat so she felt really claustrophobic.  So, towards the end we def ended up being the couple with the "fussy baby."

It was nice to finally land and get our stuff together, pick up the rental car and head over to dinner.  Although Jeff was going to be working in Chelsea Michigan we were going to stay in Ann Arbor because it was a bigger town and had more stuff for Annabelle and I to do during the day. One of the first restaurants we saw while driving was Olive Garden {personal fav} so we pit stopped there for dinner.



































On a side note though...on the flight back to Arizona Belle had her own seat which made a huge DIFFERENCE in her happiness on the plane!  It was glorious that she could just sit there and play in her own space.  This time on the flight we were more prepared and also brought one of her most favorite things...a smoothie from Mc Donald's and some chocolate which always calms her down.

When Jeff would lift Belle up to the air vents and it would blow air into her ear she thought that it was so funny and would just laugh and laugh!  Made for some good entertainment on the plane for us and those around!




Ann Arbor:

Right when we drove into town it just felt so different being around so much green scenery...I loved it! Complete change verses the semi-trashy parts of Kingman.  I was just in love with seeing and feeling soft grass everywhere!  This sounds ridiculous...but I told Jeff while we were driving around {we also had a pretty fancy rental car} that I felt like we were rich being there!  It was just a really nice, well taken care of classy town!  I'm sure it had it's ghetto parts, but the part we were in was very pristine!! University of Michigan was located in down town Ann Arbor so I also fell in love with the college type vibe the city had. 

Boy oh boy was the first night rough in the hotel with Annabelle.  I know she was having a difficult time with the 3 hour time difference too.  Letting her cry it out at home usually isn't a problem, but letting her cry it out in a hotel is a completely different story.  Jeff and I had tried all our "tricks" to get her to sleep and nothing was working. We finally took her outside and just walked around the hotel, and mind you this was at like 1:00 a.m.  Then after the walking we just sat in the car where it was a bit more quiet and she finally fell asleep in my arms.  There is just something about hotel rooms and all the random noises from the hallways, to the sound of the toilet flushes that seem to radiate,  and to the a.c. unit in the room that goes on and off all day long.  

After that first night she had adjusted and since we didn't have a pack play she ended up with her own bed towered with pillows because I was so fearful that she might fall off.  Yup...even had her own plush feather comforter!  



The bed seemed a bit small compared to ours at home so Jeff and I had a hard time sharing a bed and he needed his sleep to get up early for work.  He was also struggling with the time difference and was losing sleep.  Jeff kept suggesting that we make Belle a bed from the chair in the room that had a foot rest and that we could put it in between the beds but I kept declining knowing how fussy Belle can get at nights.  Then when we were into week 2 of our trip he convinced me to let him just try and he indeed came up with an amazing solution and comfy bed for her.  I felt so guilty doubting his baby bed making talents because she truly ended up loving it and after that we both got more sleep having our own bed. 
















Lots of hotel time:

We did have a rental car but Jeff had to take it to work.  I could have woken up early to take him so that I could have the car, but waking up a peaceful sleeping baby didn't appeal to me on most days. So, Annabelle and I had lots of free time to spend at the hotel.  Even maid service was getting to know us and certain people would say hi to Annabelle in the hallways and they remembered her name too.  It became apparent that the a.c. unit was one of her favorite things to play with...she especially liked opening and closing the little top lid thingy to the controls. 

  

Enjoyed her 1st lollipop and lots of eating in the room!




Thankfully the outside part of the hotel was so pretty and had lots of pathways for Annabelle and I to take walks on.  They even had this really cool bridge by the parking lot that we played on a lot.











Daddy even came and explored the bridge with us too!!






Did lots of swimming at the hotel and it was her first time in the pool and she loved it! Found this cute swimmie at Target of course.






The end to the first part of our trip!

2 comments:

Strand Family said...

I agree that green and trees can make everything seem classier. I do miss the AZ mountains though. Annabelle is so cute. I love the little smirk she does at the camera.

Amanda Stephan said...

Sounds like fun! Flying with kids is no fun! haha. Hotels usually have portable cribs or pac n play's, so next time ask and hopefully they will have one for you!